Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, July 20, 2012

.all things.

 maybe it's because i'm a little older. maybe it's because we've been faced with a lot of challenges and change lately. maybe it's because i'm feeling extremely hormonal right now. or maybe it's because i'm not as busy as normal and i finally have a chance to step back and take some things in.

i have a daily routine:  i get to work. i check my voicemail. then i spend about 20 minutes reading news articles on various websites. i don't want to be mistaken as naive - i know i'm not alone in this but i just feel like there has been an excessive amount of hate lately.  international conflict. political heat. even entertainment news. there is no shortage of  negative or hateful commentary. i'm not pretending to be perfect. i'm an extremely sarcastic and opinionated person and trust me i love being right...all the time. but lately, i've just been feeling the weight of so many things; some that directly effect me and some that really don't. as i was running to FedEx earlier today, i was reflecting on some of these awful things in the world and wondering what can be done to help resolve them -  then one of my favorite scriptures popped into my head:

"all things have been done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things."
 2n 2:24

for those of you who aren't religious or aren't familiar with my faith or the book of mormon. this doesn't mean that our Heavenly Father makes these bad things happen but rather because of his love for us he doesn't interfere - he let's  us all exercise our gift of free will (even though we are subject to bad consequences just as often as the good). this seems cruel to so many. if we have a "loving God" why doesn't he intervene? it's because of the principles of justice and mercy,  their role in the plan that He has for us and our need for a literal Savior. someone to compensate for the injustice, the hurt and the hate that we all have had and will have to endure.

i am so grateful for that small moment, i needed it today more than ever. i am grateful for the tender mercies that come as reminders -  that amid all the chaos, there is someone so perfect, so loving and so aware of each of us and what we need and when we need it.

i know that i'm not the lone citizen of the world that contemplates it's problems but i truly  hope when you are plagued by the weight of life that you turn to the one who offered, from the very beginning, to bear our burdens.

"Then with water in my eyes
The words began to rise from their place
They were beautiful and dread
I reached for them and fed on each phrase
They were honey on my lips
Then a bitter twist in my side
I knew they'd lay me in my grave
"Is there no one who could save me? " I cried
And when I lost all hope to look
Someone took that heavy book from my hands
All it's weight they set aside
After they had satisfied it's demands
I felt white and black reverse
And the lifting of a curse from my heart
Then like one receiving sight
I beheld a brilliant light in the dark"

No comments:

Post a Comment